Ok, so I've received quite a few emails asking for this recipe since putting the photo on my flickr account. I really love this dish, it's great to take to potlucks or give to your non-raw friends and doesn't need any expensive kitchen equipment other than a knife, a chopping board and an inexpensive food processor. A mandoline would be an advantage, and is also very cheap in terms of kitchen equipment.
Serves 9 large portions. Can be made in a 33 x 27cm -(or similar size) lasagne dish, or made as individual portions on the plate.
1c pine nuts
2 T lemon juice
2 T nutritional yeast
2 yellow peppers
2T fresh parsley
1T fresh thyme
2t salt ½c water as needed
- Process all ingredients together adding as little of the water as possible until a fluffy consistency is achieved.
Walnut Meat Layer
1 ½c walnuts soaked 1 hour or more
1c sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 1 hour or more
2T dark/brown miso
2t dried oregano
2t dried sage
5T nama shoyu
½t cayenne pepper
2T olive oil
1T agave nectar
1t sea salt
- Grind all ingredients in a food processor, leaving the mixture slightly chunky.
1 ½c sun dried tomatoes
2 soft dates
2 cloves garlic
2c tomato, seeded and chopped
1 ½T dried oregano
2t salt (depending on how salty your s/d toms are)
1/3c olive oil
2T lemon juice
- Process in a food processor until smooth.
2 c tightly packed basil leaves
¾c pine nuts or walnuts
½c olive oil
1 clove garlic
1T lemon juice
- Process all ingredients, leaving plenty of chunkiness!
6c torn spinach
5T dried oregano
3T olive oil
2t sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a bowl to marinade and wilt for 1 hour or longer, putting the covered bowl in a dehydrator will help this process but it’s not essential.
For the assembly
5 medium courgettes (zucchini), cut lengthwise and marinated in 2T of salt and 3T olive oil for 10 minutes.
Pinch black pepper
- Line the base of your dish with a layer of the courgette strips that slightly overlap.
- On top of this put down a layer of the walnut meat, then the cheese, then tomato sauce and finally the pesto on top. Finish this with another layer of slightly overlapping courgette strips.
- Repeat step 2 but before adding the final layer of courgette, take your wilted spinach and create an additional layer with that.
- Placing the whole dish in the fridge for several hours will firm it all up slightly which will make it easier to cut into portions.
- Garnish individual portions with black pepper and a sprig of basil.
Did you like this recipe? Then why not subscribe to receive automatic updates or fill in your email address at the top of the page in the box provided. Your email will never be sold or given to a third party, guaranteed!